ATTENTION YOUTH AGES (14-18)
Sister Cities International Youth Leadership Summit Scholarship
Are you interested in knowing more about Sister Cities International?
You can make a difference in your community while experiencing the different cultures of the world. Sister Cities International holds an Annual Conference for its members as well as a Youth Leadership Summit for eager youth wanting to gain leadership skills, knowledge of different issues affecting the world around us, and many other great skills and experiences. Sister Cities International Southern California Chapter is offering a scholarship to attend this year’s Youth Leadership Summit that will be held in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
SoCal Sister Cities Chapter of SCI would like to send one student that is associated with a Southern California Sister City Committee to the next SCI Youth Leadership Summit that is being held in conjunction with the Annual Sister Cities International Conference.
The Youth Leadership Summit gives students the opportunity to participate in the following activities:
- Meet young people from around the world
- Learn how to work productively within the Sister City Program and Community
- Share his/her community’s culture with fellow delegates
- Build leadership skills
- Learn how to make the Sister Cities International mission of Peace through People, a reality
The Southern California Sister Cities International Board will cover the following costs for the selected YLS participant:
- SoCal will pay for the YLS registration to include meals and lodging as well as transportation to and from the airport
- The YLS participant will be housed at a nearby college dorm near the Conference site for four nights
- In addition, the participants will be chaperoned the entire time by the SCI Staff.
The scholarship recipient must pay for his/her own airfare and arrive at the Norfolk International Airport on Wednesday July 12 and their return flight must be on Sunday morning July 16, 2017.
The scholarship recipient must pay for his/her registration on-line and upon providing proof of registration paid, SCI SoCal will then reimburse the party. Cost approximately $625 for conference registration (not including airfare).
Each Southern California Sister City Committee/Association, whose SCI dues are current, may submit one student application for consideration by the SoCal Review Committee. The student should have a 3.0 or higher GPA and be active in the local sister city committee or association. The following paperwork should be submitted to the SoCal Chapter by April 15th, 2017.
WHAT TO SUBMIT:
Each Applicant Must Submit the Following:
- The student application (see attached form, page 3). Only one applicant per Sister City Committee/Association (previous recipients may not apply a second time)
- A copy of latest official transcript
- A one page summary of the students activities in his/her Sister City Program
- A letter of recommendation by the President of the Sister City Committee/Association
- A letter of recommendation from the student’s principal, counselor, advisor or teacher
- A one page personal statement expressing what the student hopes to gain from this experience and how he/she would stay involved within his/her city’s Sister City Program
- A one page parent/guardian statement regarding the students participation/attendance to the Youth Leadership Summit
- A signed parent/guardian waiver (see attached waiver, page 4)
NOTE: Applications due by April 15th, 2017
If needed, Individual Interviews will be scheduled for May 20th, 2017 in Santa Monica.
The student awarded the scholarship will be notified by May 27th, 2017.
DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION:
The SoCal Youth Leadership Summit application package can be downloaded by clicking here.
For a more detailed description of the Sister Cities International YLS, go to http://www.sistercities.org/YLS
After attending the Youth Leadership Summit, the selected student MUST plan to attend at least one of the SoCal Sister Cities Chapter’s Meetings which occur quarterly throughout the year (location to be determined in Southern California) to present a power point report on his/her experience at the recent YOUTH LEADERSHIP SUMMIT. The SoCal Board would like the selected student to participate in the quarterly SoCal Board Meetings as a Student Coordinator between the board and the local Southern California Sister City Committees/Associations for a period of one year.
Applications can be submitted by email to:
Jeanette Avila, Selection Committee Chair
email@example.com carbon copied to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by mail to:
Jeanette Avila, Selection Committee Chair
3608 N. Pershing Ave.
San Bernardino, CA 92405
Mailed applications must be postmarked by April 15th, 2017.
Please Note: All applications will become the property of the SoCal Sister Cities Chapter and will not be returned to the applicant.
Questions regarding the application or the YLS, please call Jeanette Avila at (951) 232-0934.